Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and RoleOrganization Overview
Palladium develops and delivers solutions that create positive impact for communities, businesses, societies and economies. We transform lives and create enduring value by working with governments, corporations and non-profit organizations. We create positive impact through more than 100 current projects with more than 2000 employees operating in over 90 countries.
Palladium has implemented the USAID-funded Health Policy Plus (HP+) Project since 2015. The goal of HP+ is to work with key stakeholders in developing countries, to advance health policy and financing for family planning and reproductive health (FP/RH), HIV, and maternal and newborn health at national and subnational levels. The project aims to improve the enabling environment for equitable and sustainable health services, supplies, and delivery systems through policy development and implementation, with an emphasis on voluntary, rights-based health programs, and by strengthening in-country partners' capacity to navigate complex environments for effective policy design, implementation, and financing aligned to the existing priorities.Position Summary
In Mozambique, HP+ provides support to the Government of Mozambique's health policy priorities and helps to build their capacity in health financing, policy, and advocacy. We generate evidence through quantitative and qualitative research in the areas of health systems, maternal and newborn health, and HIV. The project is seeking a full time Country Representative to act as the primarily point of contact in country. This position will provide senior level management of the Mozambique field program, coordinate key technical and administrative issues, and serve as a technical resource on specific topics to USAID, the Government of Mozambique, and other key in-country stakeholders.Mozambican nationals are preferred for this position, although non-Mozambicans that meet the skills and qualifications required for this position will be considered. This position does not offer any expatriate benefits.
- Serves as Palladium legal representative in country.
- Acts as primary HP+ point of contact for USAID, Government of Mozambique, and other key stakeholders.
- Provides senior leadership, management oversight, and coordination to the HP+ Mozambique country program, in coordination with the US-based Country Activity Manager and technical experts.
- Works closely with the HP+ Country Activity Manager to manage the workplan and budget.
- Monitors and provides oversight for program implementation in country, including close collaboration with HP+ in-country partner(s) and seconded staff.
- Provides specific subject matter expertise/technical assistance to HP+, as required and based on expertise, in areas such as: HIV service delivery and costs; maternal and neonatal health policy and data analytics; health financing; and engagement with private sector (e.g. civil society, commercial health providers, local non-governmental organizations).
- Provides guidance on analytical and evaluative techniques to identify, consider, and resolve issues or problems.
- Ensures quality of services from local consultants and compliance per project/program requirements.
- Provides functional guidance to local research and logistics vendors to ensure deliverables are met within timelines and budgets as needed.
- Participates in and/or prepares necessary program-related reports, including presentations and white papers.
- Organizes and supports as needed project/program trainings, conferences, workshops, and meetings.
- Participates, and represents the organization as needed, in outside associations, conferences, and symposia.
- Leads and assists in research, data collection, policy formulation, training and capacity building efforts in support of contract/agreement activities and deliverables.
- Oversees other in-country staff members as appropriate.
Minimum Education or Experience
- Demonstrated success in collaboration and coordination across partners, sectors and with home office;
- Well versed knowledge of the Government of Mozambique systems and institutions, especially the Ministry of Health, and demonstrated experience in navigating relationships and coordinating across various government institutions.
- Ability to navigate politically sensitive environments and being able to appropriately complete tasks within the limitations placed by external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience managing projects or programs, as well as staff.
- Demonstrated problem solving, analytic, financial and evaluative skills.
- Attention to detail and ability to effectively and efficiently perform multiple tasks and balance competing priorities often within a required timeframe.
- Proficient in the use of desktop software, esp. Microsoft Office.
- Effective written and oral communication skills both in English and Portuguese.
- Professional and diplomatic demeanor and conduct, especially during interactions with the client and its constituents.
- Ability to anticipate, respond, and adapt quickly to changing requirements and competing demands.
- Ability to take initiative and/or respond independently to situations.
- Advanced degree in a relevant discipline or equivalent.
- 10+ years of experience in public health program management, health governance, health economics, policy formulation, or other field related to international health programs are required.
- Technical expertise in health financing, HIV, and/ or maternal and newborn health, is highly preferred.
- Experience working with USAID and/or USAID partners in Mozambique is required; experience leading USAID projects in Mozambique is preferred.
- Experience working with the Government of Mozambique in health programs is required.
- Past experience working within the Government of Mozambique, especially within Ministry of Health, is an asset.
- Strong interpersonal, writing, presentation, and organizational skills are required.